Connect with us

Afrique

Who Are Cameroon Separatists Fighting For?

Published

on

Spread the love

On May 4, one of the former Ambazonia separatist leaders, Ngong Emmanuel Langha, popularly known as Capo Daniel, issued a statement in which he called for a cessation of hostilities in English Cameroon.

Through his People’s Rights Advocacy Platform, the one confidant of Warlord, Cho Ayaba, said they have resolved to choose a nonviolent approach to the struggle. He claimed that for over seven years, separatist fighters have not achieved their objective of liberating former Southern Cameroon.

What is today known as the War of Independence began in 2016 as a lawyers-teachers strike in the English-speaking regions of Cameroon. UN figures say over 6,000 people have been killed, and more than 2 million need humanitarian aid.

Within 7 years and counting, the war has seen Amba fighters targeting the very population it was supposed to be protecting.

Lost battle?

In an exclusive interview with MMI, Capo Daniel said the peak of the fighting had long since passed. 

He said what is happening on the ground now are cartel-like groups fighting for economic interest. According to him, different factions on the ground are very frustrated and are now using that frustration to launch attacks on civilians instead of the Cameroon military.

“The primary example is the ADF. They have been at war with our people in Batibo, attacking communities here and there. Declaring genocide against villages,” he said.

To him, the fighting has evolved, and they have lost momentum. That is the reason he said he is terminating the people’s rights advocacy platforms, thereby engaging in diplomacy as a way to resolve the conflict on the ground. 

“We have made some strides, and we think that it is the right time for us to declare a cessation of hostilities,” he added.

The approach taken by Capo Daniel has been welcomed by human rights lawyer Agbor Balla, who was the one-time leader of the Anglophone Civil Society Consortium.

Balla, in an exclusive with MMI, said that some actions on the ground are being carried out by some overzealous fighters who are not ideologically grounded.

“For most of them, I don’t think it is about the struggle; it is about their stomach, personal welfare, and well-being,” he said.

“Every keen observer would accept that the separatist movement has failed woefully,” he added.

To him, the moment has failed not because the government has won the war but because they have antagonized the same population that they came to protect. 
“They came as protectors, but they ended up being our prosecutors. They have destroyed our families; they have destroyed the Anglophone unity. They are terrorizing the civilian population,” he stated.

Balla, in 2016, was the leader of the outlawed consortium that brought the government to the negotiation table under the auspices of Anglophone Cameroonians. He was later arrested and detained in prison for eight months. 

Since then, the Human Rights Lawyer has advocated for a non-violent approach to the Anglophone struggle. 

Escalation

As concerned about what is happening on the ground, Balla said the fighters and their leaders have divided anglophones more, and the people fighting are not doing it for federation but for personal gains.

He adheres to middle-ground policies like the one Capo Daniel recently adopted because of this.

“Anytime somebody joins the middle or moderate voices, I appreciate it. Whether it works or not, it is immaterial,” he said. According to Balla, if a former high-profile person like that has just realized that the war cannot be won through the battle of the guns, then it is a step in the right direction. 

Barrister Balla’s organization, the Centre for Human Rights and Democracy in Africa (CHRDA),  recently published its first quarterly Human Rights Report, in which it indicated that human rights violations and abuses have dropped significantly.

In a document read by MMI, it says that between January and March, there were 52 killings, one arrest, 10 arson, 72 attacks and injuries, the use of two EIDs, and 37 kidnaps, among others.

Even though there is a reduction in the number of atrocities, there are still hardliners who want to see fighting persist.

‘Unity Day must not happen’

Christ Anu, who claims to be the President of the Interim Government of the Federal Republic of Ambazonia, has declared a lockdown between May 19 and 20 to frustrate the celebration of the National Day of Unity in Cameroon.

In a communiqué dated May 7, he said that during the lockdown period, “all establishments, businesses, and transportation services are strictly forbidden from operating. Only essential medical facilities and personnel shall be permitted to function, and solely for emergencies. We urge every citizen to stockpile essential supplies of water, food, and medication in preparation for this lockdown.” 

Dialogue Only!

Speaking exclusively to MMI on Thursday, Chris Anu said that unlike Barrister Balla and Capo Daniel, Ambazonia fighters are fighting for the people.

“When you have war, you don’t expect things to be normal as in a time of peace,” he said, saying that “people go through inconveniences.” 

He said the blame is on the Cameroonian government, which does not want to sit and dialogue. 

“After seven years and over 37,000 people killed, who will think that we will just wave the white flag and walk away while the impunity in Cameroon continues? Of course not us,” he said.

To him, war has consequences, and food and insecurity are part of them.
For more than 7 years now, villages have been destroyed, people killed, and many millions of refugees have fled, yet the war is not showing any sign of ending soon.

Mimi Mefo Info

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Afrique

Affaire Minsep/ Fecafoot : Christophe Mien Zok appelle à la fin des hostilités

Published

on

Spread the love

Dans l’éditorial du N°1467 du Propagande du Rassemblement Démocratique du Peuple Camerounais ( Rdpc), l’Action paru ce mercredi 29 Mai 2024, Christophe Mien Zok membre du comité central de cette formation fait le tour de l’actualité camerounaise. Le sujet qui attise toute les passions et concerne la bataille entre la Fédération Camerounaise de Football ( Fecafoot) et le Ministere des Sports ne lui échappe pas. Sur ce sujet, il met en garde certains acteurs contre la défiance envers l’Etat du Cameroun. Christophe Mien Zok appelle d’un ton pédagogique mais ferme à l’arrêt de ces machinations qui n’honore pas le Vers -Rouge et Jaune. Lire en intégralité sa sortie

“Un maire et un enseignant ont été tués quelque part dans le Nord-ouest le jour de la fête de l’Unité, le 20 mai dernier. Une bombe a éclaté dans un débit de boissons à Bamenda quelques jours plus tard, faisant au passage de nombreux blessés. Dans certaines capitales occidentales, sous prétexte de revendiquer leur droit de vote et leur inscription sur les listes électorales, des hordes de Camerounais se réclamant d’un parti politique bien connu et de la fameuse « Brigade Anti Sardinards » (BAS) prennent d’assaut nos représentations diplomatiques. Ici au pays, le leader de ce parti joue les matamores et les va-t-en guerre et brandit des menaces en cas de non-respect du calendrier électoral. Sur tous ces sujets importants et bien d’autres, tous aussi cruciaux et vitaux les uns que les autres, de nombreux Camerounais opposent une indifférence et un silence assourdissants. Les enseignants sont muets quand l’un des leurs tombe sous les balles des séparatistes; les magistrats municipaux regardent ailleurs alors que leur collègue perd la vie, l’écharpe tricolore autour des reins. Les uns et les autres doivent se dire qu’il revient à l’Etat et aux pouvoirs publics de prendre leurs responsabilités et de trouver des solutions à ces problèmes. On les comprend.

Pourtant quand il s’agit de football, tous ces taiseux retrouvent subitement l’usage de la parole, deviennent très volubiles, rivalisent de commentaires enflammés et de propositions très inspirées. Depuis deux mois et la nomination d’un nouveau staff technique à la tête des Lions indomptables, difficile d’échapper à ce débat entre les partisans du Ministre des sports et de l’éducation physique d’une part et les adeptes du président de la Fécafoot d’autre part. Les réseaux sociaux, les plateaux de télévision, les antennes des radios sont saturés par cet unique sujet. Entre l’interprétation biaisée des textes et le recours à des arguments qui tiennent plus des arguties, de propos de cours de récréation ou de « matches de gueule » de quartiers, chacun fait feu de tout bois. Tout ce tintamarre serait pure distraction et diversion ludique si les conséquences pour l’image de l’Etat n’étaient en jeu. Entendons-nous bien: au-delà de l’aspect sportif, il y a derrière ce vaudeville, cette tragi-comédie en mondovision un véritable enjeu régalien. Au nom de quoi une association qui a reçu une délégation de service public, fût-elle celle en charge du football, sport-roi autoproclamé, peut-elle se permettre de défier aussi impunément l’autorité de l’Etat?

Certes, dès le départ, la gestion de ce dossier aurait pu se faire dans la concertation et la collaboration mais une fois que les décisions ont été prises, pourquoi continuer le bras de fer au risque de ternir un peu plus l’image, l’honneur et l’autorité de l’Etat? Pourquoi continuer à alimenter le « cafouillage dans la surface de réparation » de l’équipe nationale fanion avec le risque de marquer un but dans son propre camp? Pourquoi tous ces actes de défiance contre l’Etat qui est le principal bailleur de fonds du sport camerounais en général et du football en particulier? Pourquoi poursuivre ce combat sans tenir compte des conséquences sur les performances de l’équipe nationale? À une dizaine de jours du premier match des Lions indomptables comptant pour les éliminatoires de la prochaine coupe du monde, personne ne parle des joueurs, de tactique ou de plan de jeu. À quoi bon s’engager alors dans une compétition dans ces conditions et sous un climat et un environnement aussi délétères? Pourquoi dépenser autant d’argent qui aurait pu servir à résoudre des problèmes plus urgents et importants?
Qu’on le veuille ou non, l’affaire Minsep-Fécafoot mérite désormais, mutatis mutandis, un traitement politique en extrême urgence au même titre que le saccage de nos ambassades en Europe ou les exactions des séparatistes dans le Nord-ouest et le Sud-ouest. Le Rdpc et « son » gouvernement, auxquels on impute à tort ou à raison tous les malheurs et les déboires du Cameroun, doivent veiller à ce que soit sifflée la fin de cette triste et indigeste partie. La récréation est terminée! La chienlit, ça suffit comme ça! “
Christophe Mien Zok

Continue Reading

Afrique

Pourquoi le SG par intérim du Senat a été chassé de son poste ?

Published

on

Spread the love

Bernard Wongolo est accusé par la commission d’enquête parlementaire piloté par le vice président du sénat Aboubakary Abdoulaye, de détournement de deniers publics. Il n’assure plus l’intérim du secrétariat général de la chambre haute du parlement, et plusieurs de ses proches ont été garde-à-vue.

La commission d’enquête parlementaire dirigée par le vice-président du sénat Aboubakary Abdoulaye et par ailleurs le Lamido de Rey Bouba vient d’épingler l’ex gouverneur de région Bernard Wongolo. La commission accuse le secrétaire général d’un détournement de deniers publics issu des fonds propres du Senat et d’un montant de plus de 2 milliards de Fcfa.

Si les détails de ce détournement présumé n’ont pas été donnés, l’on apprend que les bureaux de monsieur Wongolo ont été scellés et plusieurs de ses proches collaborateurs ont été placés en garde-à-vue à Yaoundé.

Né en 1954 à Yokadouma dans la Boumba et Ngoko, Bernard Wongolo, le secrétaire général adjoint du Senat, assurait l’intérim du titulaire Michel Meva Meboutou, indisponible depuis plusieurs mois pour cause de maladie.

Prévu par la Constitution camerounaise de 1996, le Sénat représente les collectivités territoriales dé- centralisées, à savoir les communes et les régions. Il a pour mission, comme l’Assemblée nationale, d’adopter les lois, d’apporter des amendements ou de rejeter des textes soumis à son examen. Mais ce n’est qu’en 2013 que les premiers sénateurs ont été élus. Calculette en main c’est un montant cumulé de 167 milliards de FCFA que cette institution a coûté au contribuable camerounais en 9 ans d’existence. De quoi relancer les débats sur son utilité, certains la considérant comme une institution budgétivore. Le Sénat continue de susciter de vifs débats sur son utilité, certains le considérent comme une institution budgétivore de plus. Le Dr Cyriaque Esseba n’hésitait pas à déclarer, au moment de la mise sur pied du Senat, que « le Sénat est considéré comme une simple doublure coûteuse sans enjeu politique réel et les sénatoriales comme une modalité de divertissement ». Une image qui n’a pas beaucoup changé, dix ans après, du fait surtout de sa faible influence sur le vote des lois.

Jeanne Ndome

Continue Reading

Afrique

Cameroonians in Bahrain Stranded as Passport Renewal Stalls

Published

on

Spread the love

Manama, Bahrain Hundreds of Cameroonian citizens residing in Bahrain are facing an agonising wait for passport renewals, leaving many in a precarious situation. The delays stem from the inability of the Cameroonian embassy in Saudi Arabia to send a team for biometric data collection, a crucial step in the renewal process. In December, MMI reported the challenges they were facing regarding the exorbitant cost of passports. But it appears, the situation has just gotten worse.

In a heartfelt message to the MMI Team, an anonymous Cameroonian currently residing in Bahrain expressed grief and disappointment over the ongoing challenges faced by the Cameroonian community in obtaining passport renewals.

Since the last visit by representatives from the Cameroonian embassy in Saudi Arabia, there has been no subsequent visit despite numerous pleas and messages sent to the embassy. The representatives, who are responsible for biometric data collection necessary for passport renewals, have not returned to Bahrain, leaving many Cameroonians in limbo.

“Cameroonians are here in their hundreds, living illegally and without jobs just because their passports are expired and their companies can’t renew their visas,” the anonymous resident explained. “Many others cannot travel due to this issue.”

According to a letter sent by the Cameroon Association in Bahrain (CAMBAH) in March, a team was scheduled to visit Bahrain for passport services. However, technical difficulties, specifically a faulty bio-data collection machine, have thwarted those plans.

The situation has caused significant frustration and hardship for Cameroonians in Bahrain. Many have reportedly paid for passport renewals online months ago but remain in limbo. Expired passports prevent them from working legally, traveling, or even residing in Bahrain without penalty.

“They keep on promising and failing,” lamented a Cameroonian resident. “Now most of us are stranded due to passport issues.”

While CAMBAH acknowledges the challenges and expresses appreciation for patience, the ongoing delays have left many feeling helpless. The letter from March offered no concrete timeline for when the technical issues would be resolved or when a team would visit Bahrain.

“We understand the importance of having access to passport renewal services and the frustration that these delays may cause,” the letter reads, “but please be assured that both the Passport Committee and the team in Saudi Arabia are working tirelessly to resolve these issues as quickly as possible.”

However, for many Cameroonians, “as soon as possible” isn’t soon enough. “I paid for my passport renewal in December,” said another resident, Aissatou (name changed to protect privacy). “I can’t work without a valid passport, and now my visa is expiring too. I don’t know what I’m going to do.”

As of today, May 29th, there have been no further updates from the embassy or CAMBAH.

This ongoing story will be updated as new information becomes available.

Mimi Mefo Info

Continue Reading

Trending