By Tata Mbunwe
Three people have been arrested in connection with the improvised explosion that killed two people and injured over 50 in Nkambe, North West Region of Cameroon, on Sunday, the North West Governor, Adolphe Lele L’Afrique, has said.
Without providing further details on the arrested suspects, Lele L’Afrique blamed Ambazonia separatist fighters for planting the locally made explosive that disrupted National Youth Day celebrations in Nkambe on Sunday, February 11.
“Immediately informed, the SDO (Senior Divisional Officer) mobilized his security services to run after the assailants, the terrorists that put the device, and three of them have already been caught and they are under very serious investigation,” Mr Lele L’Afrique told the state broadcaster CRTV.
“The total number of those that were victims of that incident are close to 40 among which four are seriously wounded. Apart from close to 40 wounded, there is one person dead,” he added.
A source in Nkambe who spoke to MMI a few hours after the incident said two people had been confirmed dead. Other sources say the death toll is much higher.
Our source also painted a picture of the emotional atmosphere at the Nkambe Regional Hospital annex, where most of the victims were receiving treatment.
A number of victims underwent leg amputations, while some suffered serious burns on the face and other parts of body.
No separatist group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack despite the Governor’s claims.
The incident was the first significant attack in Nkambe since 2017, when the armed conflict in the English-speaking Regions of Cameroon broke out.
The area has been a haven of peace amid the conflict that has killed more than 6,000 people and displaced over a million others.
Among many who have condemned the attack in Nkambe is the Parliamentarian for Nkambe Central Constituency, Hon Ngala Gerard Ndombang.
“The population is determined more than ever before to continue with their normal life. This has just awakened the population of Nkambe to be more vigilant as ever before. We now are more determined and Nkambe will ever succumb to threats,” he said.
The MP, who visited the hospital after the incident, has repeatedly prided himself in the peaceful nature of Nkambe, contrasting it to other areas in the North West and South Regions.
Nkambe and its environs has not been affected by separatist lockdowns, school boycotts and armed attacks, unlike other areas in the Anglophone Regions.
Prior to the Sunday incident, thousands of people, including school children, youth leaders, business persons, community leaders and government officials participated in the Youth Day celebrations at the Nkambe grandstand.
Pictures and videos taken before the explosion showed a lively atmosphere at the event, with children marching agilely, and engaging in singing and dancing to commemorate the Youth Day.
In most areas of the English-speaking Regions, celebrations only took place timidly, with some areas witnessing a total boycott of activities.
This was because separatists had called for a three-day lockdown in the English-speaking Regions in prelude to the event and had issued threats against people participating in the celebration.
For seven years now, the fighters have opposed Youth Day and other official events in the Anglophone Regions, where they are fighting for a breakaway nation called Ambazonia.
However, people who do not abide by the separatist ideology have been defying the calls to participate in national celebrations.
Youth Day celebration in Cameroon on every 11 February is historically tied to the separatist conflict in the Anglophone Regions.
It was on this day, in 1961, that the minority English-speaking British Southern Cameroons voted in a plebiscite to join the majority French-speaking La Republic du Cameroon.
Over the past 63 years, the union between both Cameroons has been marred by frequent protests against marginalization by the English-speaking minority.
One of these protests, which started as a lawyers and teachers’ strike in 2016, was met with a brutal government crackdown that aggravated into an armed conflict a year later, with calls for secession.
Mimi Mefo Info
Rigobert Track Bahanag Expresses Gratitude and Optimism for the Future
Former Cameroonian head coach Rigobert Track Bahanag launched an announcement on Friday, March 1st, 2024, following his departure from the place.
“Expensive Sisters and Brothers; Expensive Supporters of the Indomitable Lions,” Track started, acknowledging each Cameroonian residents and the nationwide workforce’s passionate followers. He expressed his honour in serving because the workforce’s supervisor for the previous two years, highlighting his dedication to fulfilling his “exhilarating and delicate mission.”
Track emphasised his dedication to nationwide responsibility, stating that he “devoted himself” to attaining the assigned goals, which included qualifying for each the 2022 World Cup and the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations. Nonetheless, he acknowledged the workforce’s shortcomings, stating, “Sport being what it’s, our performances throughout these competitions weren’t commensurate with the notoriety and status of Cameroonian soccer.”
Taking duty for the outcomes, Track additionally mirrored on the constructive points of his expertise, expressing his appreciation for the time spent with the workforce and the non-public development he gained. He prolonged his gratitude to numerous entities who supported him throughout his tenure, together with the federal government, gamers, employees, and the Cameroon Soccer Federation.
Lastly, Track addressed the passionate fanbase, thanking them for his or her unwavering help. He acknowledged their need to see the Indomitable Lions “reign in continental soccer,” and expressed his perception that attaining such a objective stays potential.
Track’s departure comes after Cameroon’s exit within the Spherical of 16 of the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations that was hosted in Ivory Coast, owing to a defeat by the Tremendous Eagles of Nigeria. The Cameroon Soccer Federation has but to announce a alternative.
Many coaches have resigned following their dismal performances within the final version of the AFCON, from which hosts Ivory Coast emerged as champions.
Mimi Mefo Information
Tanzania Observes 7 Days Mourning for Former President Ali Hassan Mwinyi
President Samia Suluhu Hassan has declared a seven-day mourning interval following the loss of life of former Tanzanian President Ali Hassan Mwinyi. The revered statesman handed away on the age of 98 after battling lung most cancers. Mwinyi, who held the presidential workplace from 1985 to 1995, performed a pivotal position in shaping the future of the East African nation.
President Samia Suluhu delivered the information of Mwinyi’s demise on Thursday at 5:30 pm, casting a pall over the nation because it bid farewell to one in every of its outstanding leaders. The late president’s contributions to Tanzania lengthen past his practically decade-long tenure; he succeeded the nation’s founding father, Julius Nyerere, and left an indelible mark on its political panorama.
Among the many enduring legacies of Ali Hassan Mwinyi is the introduction of multi-party democracy to Tanzania. His dedication to political pluralism ushered in an period of larger political participation and illustration within the East African nation. Mwinyi’s imaginative and prescient for a extra inclusive political system laid the groundwork for the various political panorama that exists in Tanzania as we speak.
The passing of the previous president marks a big second in Tanzanian historical past, leaving a void that resonates with the lack of different iconic leaders who’ve formed the nation’s future. Mwinyi’s loss of life on February 29, 2024, makes Jakaya Kikwete, now 73 years previous, the one residing former Head of State in Tanzania.
When contemplating Tanzania’s presidents since its independence, it is very important observe that they’ve all come from the Chama Cha Mapinduzi (CCM) celebration. Nonetheless, the nation has endured the sorrow of bidding farewell to 4 of its leaders, together with the founding father Julius Nyerere 24 years in the past, President John Magufuli in 2021, and now the current lack of Ali Hassan Mwinyi. The passing of three presidents inside the span of 5 years, from 2020 to 2024, underscores the nation’s collective grief over the departure of those influential figures.
As Tanzanians embark on per week of mourning to honour the reminiscence of Ali Hassan Mwinyi, the nation displays on the numerous contributions of its leaders and the challenges and triumphs they navigated throughout their respective tenures. The legacy of Mwinyi, marked by his dedication to democracy and public service, will undoubtedly endure within the hearts and minds of the Tanzanian folks.
Mimi Mefo Information
Francis Ngannou suscite l’inquiétude chez Anthony Joshua
Francis Ngannou, le boxeur camerounais, a testé son coup de poing le 27 février dernier, et le résultat affiché sur la machine n’augure rien de bon pour Anthony Joshua.
En effet, l’ancien champion du monde de MMA, Francis Ngannou, s’apprête à affronter le Britannique Anthony Joshua le 8 mars prochain à Riyad. Pour se préparer à ce fight, il s’est engagé dans une préparation intensive ces derniers mois afin d’être prêt le jour J. Il a récemment saisi l’event de mesurer la puissance de son coup de poing sur une machine à punch. Le résultat est sans appel : Francis Ngannou a affiché un impressionnant 999 au compteur, signe que le “Predator” a pulvérisé le tableau.
Ce n’est pas la première fois que Francis Ngannou se prête à ce style de check. Avant de quitter l’UFC, il détenait déjà le document du combattant poids lourds au coup de poing le plus dévastateur. Certains specialists affirment même que la drive de frappe du Camerounais équivaut à celle de 96 chevaux. Selon Dana White, le patron de l’UFC, “C’est comme se faire percuter par une Ford Escort lancée à pleine vitesse, bien plus puissant qu’un marteau de foire jeté par-dessus la tête”.
Il n’est pas étonnant que des poids lourds notables, tels que Mike Tyson, attirent l’consideration d’Anthony Joshua sur ce sujet. Tyson Fury en a fait les frais lors de son affrontement avec Francis Ngannou, et selon diverses sources, il en garde encore des séquelles, ce qui l’a contraint à reporter son fight prévu en février dernier contre l’Ukrainien Oleksandr Usyk.
Francis Ngannou disputera son deuxième fight en boxe anglaise contre Anthony Joshua le 8 mars prochain, avant de faire son retour en MMA pour son tout premier fight au PFL. Il affrontera le Brésilien Renan Ferreira, alias “Problema”. Ce dernier a remporté son dernier fight contre Ryan Bader par TKO et determine parmi les grands combattants MMA du PFL. Francis Ngannou aura ainsi l’opportunité de décrocher sa première ceinture depuis son départ de l’UFC.
Mimi Mefo Data
Société5 months ago
Résultats définitifs du concours de l’ENAM 2023-2024 : Administration Générale cycle A
Société5 months ago
Les Résultats définitifs du concours de l’ENAM 2023-2024 : Régies Financiers cycle A
Actualité5 months ago
les auteurs de la tentative du coup d’État identifiés
Société3 months ago
Route Ebolowa Akom II – Kribi : 200 milliards Fcfa dépensé sans suite
Actualité2 months ago
Le Pape a donné son accord pour que les Églises africaines ne bénissent pas les couples gay (Cardinal Ambongo)
Actualité5 months ago
Une base militaire française en construction au Bénin ? Le gouvernement répond !
Société3 months ago
Les étudiants infirmiers contestent les résultats du ministère de la santé publique au Cameroun
Actualité5 months ago
Sylvia Bongo, l’ex-Première dame arrêtée !